[TN-Bird] Rail Habitat and Timing

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jpeters@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:06:20 EDT

Sept. 19, 2004
West TN and Eastern Ark.

I meant to write this on the weekend post but ran out of time this AM. While
up around the rice fields near Reelfoot over the weekend, I was surprised that
much of the harvesting has been done. This goes along with the other crops
being harvested early here in the mid-south. We had a relatively dry early
spring and then a rainy period and then relatively dry again allowing for quick
planting, fast growing season and therefore an early harvest. Most of the
cotton
has be sprayed with defoliant, the corn has been combined, plowed under and
most fields ready to seed with winter crops, a large amount of soybeans are
already in the storage bins and evidently most of the rice. It was harvested
too
early for there to be much in the way of migrant rails and the fields are way
too dry to hold any big number of these birds anyway.

I decided to ride back south through Arkansas on Sunday and after crossing
the I-155 bridge to Missouri, I could see smoke rising to the south and sure
enough harvested rice fields are already being burned off. I'd say 50% or
better
had been harvested but there again it was too early and way to dry for rails.
I sat for a total of an hour at 3 locations being combined and my "dry tire"
rule worked. Dry tires on combines = no rails, but I did see about a dozen
Bobolinks and a single Long-billed Marsh Wren.

The best railing is just after the first of October and then if there is any
rice left you need a wet field which might be very difficult to find. Not so
good news for rails and birders but that is the best I could come up
with............ I keep waiting for the stars and planets to line up and
another year
when hundreds of rails would grace our field glasses again but evidently, not
this year :o(

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA