[TN-Bird] Radnor / OHL spring count (27 warblers)

  • From: Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 16:55:02 -0500

Yesterday, as part of the Nashville area spring count, I covered (with a
few others at each place) Radnor Lake from 7:00 AM-12:30 PM and Old Hickory
Lake from 1:15 PM-5:00 PM.  Radnor was fun; there were a LOT of warblers.
 At times, the number of singing individuals was so great that it was very
difficult to tease out specific songs from the cacophony.

I'll post numbers later, but here are the highlights out of 102 species on
the day:

Radnor L.

27 spp. of warbler including a MOURNING and 4 CERULEANS (good numbers, too)
BLACK DUCK!!
5 PINE SISKINS
all of the regular vireos
notably absent - Blue-winged Warbler, American Redstart and Gray-cheeked
Thrush

Old Hickory Lake (both Davidson and Sumner)

8 COMMON LOONS (including 5 breeding plumage)
adult breeding BONAPARTE'S GULL (very late)
ratty first cycle HERRING GULL (very late)
50+ BOBOLINKS (field at end of Swinging Bridge Road)
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (same field)

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com