[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake Veery and company

  • From: "Candice & Kevin" <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:24:06 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville-Davidson Co. TN

Monday 20 April 2009

After the skies began clearing about mid-day, I walked the lake trail and
dam road. Sitting on the stone wall along the dam road overlooking the lake
was a  VEERY. He sat there for quite some time, allowing me some good looks.

Just after he flew off, a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER began singing almost in front
of me. Since the sun was just coming out, he seemed to glow in the light.

Later, by the wooden bridge where the lake trail meets the road, a LOUISIANA
WATHERTHRUSH sat on the rail bouncing up and down. He flew off toward the
lake when suddenly I heard loud and clear a CERULEAN WARBLER almost
overhead. I got a few good glimpses as the bird foraged in the branches.

Further along, before I heard his song, I saw a BLUE-WINGED WARBLER about
where the NTOS Wednesday walk group had one last week; however, this time
the bird cooperated fully and I got great views. And a PALM WARBLER took
over the show when the Blue-winged left.

And at Long Bridge a singing NORTHERN PARULA dropped down long enough for me
to get him in my binoculars for a warbler second or two.

Also, I heard the Chip-brrr of a SCARLET TANAGER, but this one remained
unseen.

A nice walk after a gray morning.

Kevin Bowden

Nashville, TN