[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake Sightings

  • From: Robbie Lynn Hunsinger <yoooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 18:22:07 -0500

Oh my goodness it was a magical walk this morning at Radnor. I have not been in ages.

I saw an amazing male Bay-Breasted Warbler - my first sighting of this fantastic bird, a Prothonotary Warbler, a Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Black-throated Green Warbler, I believe a Blackpoll Warbler, a Pileated Woodpecker, a Ruby-throated Hummingbird, a beautiful orangish gold Summer Tanager, Cardinals, a Pewee, Titmouse, Thrushes of all types, a Red-bellied Woodpecker and a Barred Owl at Radnor this morning. It was maybe 9am when I started.

I parked on the East Otter Creek Side and only got to the start of the causeway- too may birds there to keep moving!

The hummingbird was hovering over fallen leaves and a log by the lake for some time off of the left side of the road. I watched for awhile so curious as to what it was doing and then it darted and seemed to grab a bit of leaf. I wondered if it was gathering to build its nest. It was an unusual sight.

The Barred Owl nearly clipped me. I was watching him and he flew across the road and didn't see me maybe? I dropped the binocs because he was so close and saw him fly just a bit higher than my head and not too far from my left shoulder. He glared at me a bit when he landed. I was being very quiet so who knows!

The other interest for me was watching the Great Blue Heron fishing. I somehow haven't not understood why they look so carefully and tilt their heads so distinctly when fishing, but today I could actually see in the water as well. He seemed to be waiting for the fish to get in position for him to grab him head first! I imagine that is the only way they can be eaten like that- the fishes scales have to fold and cooperate to go down.

The Warblers were just where the road starts to separate the two bodies of water, and the Pileated and Tanager were at the parking lot.

Robbie Lynn Hunsinger
Nashville TN

TN-Bird requires you to sign your message with your first and last name and the city/town and state where you live. You should also report the county and the date of observation of all sightings. _____________________________________________________________