[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake, Nashville, TN

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:35:41 -0500 (CDT)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN
7:30-9:30am
fog and mist and plenty of water going over the dam

This thursday morning I made it out to Radnor after having
returned from a 10 day trip to southern NJ.  Unfortunately,
there was very little time for birding in NJ, I did not
even get a chance to visit Cape May and its Hawk Watch.
However, I did get a nice yard bird for my parents home,
a soaring adult BALD EAGLE that flew low and directly over
their property, enabling my mom to see it with the naked
eye.

At Radnor Lake I made my usual excursion from the west parking
lot to Long Bridge and return.  However, since I did not go
all the way around the lake, I did not do a good duck search.
The only water bird I saw was a PIED-BILLED GREBE.

It was a good morning for latish migrants with a large movement
of INDIGO BUNTINGS and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETs.  Warbler-wise,
YELLOW-RUMPEDs rule as expected.  However, I did find single
TENNESSEE, ORANGE-CROWNED, and perhaps the most unexpected
bird of the morning, a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT (at Long Bridge).
Also a bit on the late side were SWAINSON'S THRUSHs,
ROSE-BRESTED GROSBEAKs, GRAY CATBIRD, BLUE-HEADED and WHITE-EYED
VIREOs.  Absent this morning were CEDAR WAXWINGs.

In addition I picked up several wintering species that have
arrived in my absence.

Birds of interest included:

Pied-billed Grebe 1
Cooper's Hawk 2