[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake, Nashville TN

  • From: Frank Fekel <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:26:29 -0500 (CDT)

Spent yesterday, Wed., morning birding under cloudy skies at Radnor
and got a nice number of migrants before heading to work.

Thus, this morning, Thurs, Oct. 2, I decided to scout for the
NTOS meeting walks.  With temps in the 40s and clear skies it was
an excellent morning.  I birded my usual route from the west parking
lot to Long Bridge and back.  I had several nice flocks of warblers
and there was plenty of activity in the sunlight.  The result was
15 species of warbler.

The male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER continued in the same area as
yesterday, perhaps 100 yards along the lake trail from the dam.  While
enjoying it, I heard a chip from time to time by the water's edge but was
unable to locate a bird.  On my return to the area to the BLACK-THROATED
BLUE spot, perhaps an hour later, I got my best bird of the day, a
MOURNING WARBLER that nicely showed itself.  My brain put 2 + 2 together,
and I realized that this was the bird I had heard but had not seen
earlier at the water's edge.

Migrants seen included:

Vireos:
White-eyed 1
Yellow-throated 1
Philadelphia 2

Warblers:
Tennessee 2
Nashville 1
N. Parula 1
Chestnut-sided 2
Magnolia  14
Black-throated Blue  1 male
Yellow-rumped  1
Black-throated Green 10
Blackburnian 2
Bay-breasted 1
Black-and-white 1
American Redstart  8 (1 adult male)
Ovenbird 1
N. Waterthrush 1
Mourning Warbler 1

Other migrants:
Swainson's Thrush  1
Red-breasted Grosbeak 1 male

Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University
Center of Excellence in Information Systems
330 10th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203  USA