[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake Monday massed warbler migration

  • From: "fekel" <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:56:13 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN
Monday 2009 Oct. 12
7:15-10:00 am
cloudy

Monday morning I again visited Radnor Lake to see what the unsettled
weather would turn up.  It was the best day this fall for warbler
migration with large flocks of warblers fluttering around at various
points along the Lake Trail.  Obviously the YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERs
knew that this was Columbus Day, and they had set out to explore
Tennessee in large numbers.  Two days ago I found only 2 birds,
while today there were at least 45.  In addition 4 other species
of warblers were in double digits, TENNESSEE, MAGNOLIA, BLACK-THROATED
GREEN, and BAY-BREASTED.  I finally got a PALM WARBLER this fall at
Radnor.  Winter birds as slowly coming in as I also had 2 WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWs after seeing one last night near my house.  ROSE-BREASTED
GROSBEAKs are still visiting in good numbers. CANADA GEESE seem to
be massing on the lake overnight, with well over 100 this morning
before most of them flew off.  It was nice to hear 2 BARRED OWLs calling
as I returned to my car in the West Parking Lot.

Birds of interest included:
Canada Goose 113
Killdeer       4
Barred Owl     2