[TN-Bird] Re: Radnor Lake Indigo Bunting

  • From: EGLEAVES@xxxxxxx
  • To: crypticlineage@xxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 12:56:48 EDT

In a message dated 6/2/2006 9:16:34 A.M. Central Standard Time,
crypticlineage@xxxxxxxxx writes:
June 01,  2006
5.30 - 6.15pm

Radnor Lake State Park
Davidson  County
Nashville, TN

As I got out of the car in the East parking  lot, I was greeted by a
singing Indigo Bunting.  He kept singing in  the same spot for about 5
minutes, then he left.   Then on the  Lake trail, I got my first very
close look at two Pileated  Woodpeckers.  They were pecking just 10 feet
from me very close to  ground.  When I walked up to the dam, there was
another Indigo  Bunting singing at the top of a tree.  What a beautiful
evening.

I was thinking, Isn't it late in the season to have indigo  buntings
around here?  Are these two birds just hanging around  longer, or is it
normal for them?

Vikram Chhatre
Nashville,  TN
Davidson County
=================NOTES TO  SUBSCRIBER=====================

The TN-Bird Net requires you to SIGN  YOUR MESSAGE with
first and last name, CITY (TOWN) and state  abbreviation.
You are also required to list the COUNTY in which the  birds
you report were seen.  The actual DATE OF OBSERVATION  should
appear in the first  paragraph.

Cleveland,  OH
Rosedale,  VA

Visit the  Tennessee Ornithological Society
web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  * * * * * * * * * * * *

ARCHIVES
TN-Bird Net  Archives at //www.freelists.org/archives/tn-bird/

EXCELLENT MAP  RESOURCES
Topographical Maps located at  http://topozone.com/find.asp
Tenn.Counties Map at  http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/states/tennessee3.gif
Aerial photos to  complement google maps  http://local.live.com

Indigo Buntings hang around here and sing well into the summer months,
although Radnor Lake is not the best place to see them; they like more
woodland/edge habitats.

Ed Gleaves
Nashville, TN