[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake Amazing Mourning

  • From: Frank Fekel <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:45:14 -0500 (CDT)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Otter Creek Rd.
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN

Passerine migration is coming to a close, and so I got my first
DARK-EYED JUNCO of the fall today at Radnor.  There were several other
interesting sightings and interactions this morning around the lake.

It was a very active morning at Radnor.  The vast majority of the warbler
activity was confined to the area near the dam and the Ranger
Residence next to it.  Most amazing to me, the immature female MOURNING
WARBLER was still there, its 9th day.  Alerted by its chipping, I got
several brief but good looks as it foraged through the bushes between
the residence and the dam bridge spillway area.  At one point titmice
and chickadees began extensively fussing in the large bush near to
the huge maple tree at the righthand corner of the residence.  The
MORNING WARBLER joined the inquisitors, but I never found out what
all the commotion was about.  Several minutes later I saw a NASHVILLE
WARBLER and the MOURNING WARBLER foraging together briefly.

Other interesting interactions:  A COOPER'S HAWK briefly chasing a
flock of CANADA GEESE.  A BARRED OWL on a large limb above the
lake trail, posing for a photographer, who said he took lots of
pictures.  Later the same owl was chased by the COOPER'S HAWK.

After not seeing the otters for several weeks, I got brief views of
all 4 in the water perhaps 100 yards along the Lake Trail from the
bridge.

I head to AZ for a business trip this weekend, so I'll miss the
next week of Radnor sightings.

Warblers:
Tennessee 3
Nashville 1
Yellow-rumped 40+ (mostly around the Ranger Residence)
Black-throated Green 2
Mourning 1  immature female

Other birds of some interest:
Cooper's Hawk 1
Barred Owl 1
Swamp Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 1

Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University
Center of Excellence in Information Systems
330 10th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203  USA

                 jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx