[TN-Bird] Raccoon troubles

  • From: Lynne Davis <ldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 16:23:07 +0000

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to keep raccoons from getting into
bird feeders?  We have feeders hanging from the edge of our porch roof.  The
'coons get on the roof and pull the feeders up onto the roof and empty them.
Or, they try to climb down the hanging wire/chain and end up pulling the feeder
down to the ground with them.  We have started taking the feeders down at
night, but the 'coons come during the day, too.  I am almost afraid to put up
my hummingbird feeders, because they destroy them, too.  They also got into the
rafters of the porch and tore up a nest the Carolina Wrens just built.

Lynne Davis
Seymour, Sevier County