[tn-bird] Re: RUFF at Rankin!

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:32:19 -0400

Dean and Amber,

Nice find!

This makes two consecutive years that Ruff has been sighted at Rankin.
Last September 23, Linda Northrop, Alice Loftin, and I found two
juveniles on a distant flat across the water from the tipple.  Like you,
we were forced to view the birds from a considerable distance, but the
field marks were unmistakable: prominent buff on the head, neck, and
breast; dark eye line; dark-centered feathers on the upper parts;
greenish-yellow legs; Pectoral Sandpiper-like bill.

    Linda and I are planning to join Leslie Gibbens and Michael Sledjeski
at Rankin for a canoe trip this afternoon.  We'll definitely look hard
for the Ruff.  Thanks for the post.

Don Miller,
Greeneville, TN