[TN-Bird] RPT: Inca Dove in Hamilton Co.

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:42:56 -0500

Inca Dove
8/28/05
Hamilton County; Chickamauga Dam area

Sorry for the somewhat belated report. Don Manning was working mussels below Chickamauga Dam yesterday and witnessed one of the local Peregrines 'hit' an Inca Dove! Don wasn't able to get word to my until yesterday afternoon, at which time I was on my way to work. I tried to post from work, but our exchange server was down, so I had to wait until I got home this morning.

I am not really familiar with the area, so the location will be somewhat general, as I was driving while talking to Don about the bird. Don is in this area regularly working with mussels, and of course keeps an eye on the Peregrines in the area, and their pigeon chases. They saw a Peregrine make a pass at a bird and went out in the boat to see what it might have been. The area where the bird went down had nothing but feathers, but they (he and his wife) then saw a dove huddled under a nearby pier area. As they approached, the Peregrine came back through and flushed the Dove. The dove and Peregrine flew right at their boat, at which point Don said he could have literally caught the dove, and had to duck down to avoid a possible too-close encounter with a Peregrine.

Don didn't realize the Dove was an Inca until it flew by at eye-level, at which point the heavy scaling and rufous in wings were visible. The Inca Dove made it to the northern side of the lake, but despite being in the area sometime longer, they didn't see it again.

My impression was that this was in the immediate Dam area, with the bird flying towards the railroad tracks when last seen. Although it was a quick look, Don is familiar with Inca's from a couple of trips of ours to Texas, as well as Arizona.

I wish I had more concrete info on the exact location, but I haven't been able to get hold of Don again. If I can contact him and get any further info I will post.

Good luck to anyone who can look for it, and hopefully Katrina will spare the Big Easy and bring us more great birds!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)