[TN-Bird] RFI: Double-crested Cormorants

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:46:06 -0600

I'm posting this message at the request of Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr.,
who is not currently a TN-Birds subscriber.  Please send all private

For the record, I'm aware of at least three locations where they nest in
TN:  Old Hickory Lake (Davidson/Sumner Counties), Duck River Unit of
TNNWR (Benton County I believe) and Rankin Bottoms (Cocke Co.).  I know
that large numbers congregate at Old Hickory Lake and Duck River in
early spring; I'm sure TN-Bird subscribers are aware of other locations.

regards,

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN=20

______________________________________
Greetings TN-Birders,

This week I attended an interagency meeting concerning the increasing
population of both breeding and non-breeding Double-crested Cormorants
in western Kentucky. Two questions that came up for which no one had an
answer were ...

1) Where are cormorants nesting in Tennessee?

and

2) Where are there large concentrations of migrants and wintering
individuals (those maybe consisting of 500-1000 or more birds at either
time).

As of Robinson's 1990 Annotated Checklist, there apparently were no
nesting colonies in Tennesse, but I believe there are at least one or
two now.  I know that there are large number of migrants at Reelfoot
Lake seasonally, but am unaware of how many actually may overwinter
there.

Any assistance in answering these questions would be most appreciated.
You can email me at:

brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxx=20

Thanks,

Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr.