[TN-Bird] RED-NECKED PHALAROPE @ KSP - Roane Co

  • From: kde@xxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:15:52 -0400 (EDT)

As David posted earlier, I had a breeding-plumaged male RED-NECKED
PHALAROPE on the main ash pond at Kingston Steam Plant in Roane Co,
TN on Monday morning, 26 May 2008... my first for TN.

The bird was doing the usual phalarope thing, swimming in circles,
occassionally stopping to preen.  It looks to be a male with the red
on the neck limited to the nape and slightly down the sides.  The
white throat was bordered underneath by dark gray.  The area
around the eye appeared slightly darker than the rest of the head
and there was a slight supercillium.  Dark mantle with buffy streaks.

Overcast skies made for fairly good viewing this morning rather than
looking into the morning sun.  Winds made digiscoping difficult but
I'll try to post a couple of photos later this afternoon.  Don't
expect much, they're pretty blurry due to the wind and distance.
The light should be better this afternoon... as long as you make
it there before the rain.

The directions David gave earlier are great.  All the birds were in
the far front corner of the main ash pond as usual.  The phalarope
stayed fairly far away but I was able to get some good close looks
at WHITE-RUMPED and SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERs.  About 170 peeps were
seen but all appeared to be Semipalms and White-rumped.

Highlights:

Kingston Steam Plant, Roane Co, TN
Monday, 26 May 2008

Canada Goose, 150+
Northern Bobwhite, good to hear these anywhere
Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron, including 4 nests still with young on the small
island in lake just by the ash-pond levee

Semipalmated Plover, 8
Killdeer, several
Lesser Yellowlegs, 1
Spotted Sandpiper, 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper, 167 (highest count I made)
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER, 8-10
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE, 1

Willow Flycatcher, 2 singing
Blue Grosbeak