[TN-Bird] Purple Martins in Nashville

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:49:05 -0500

As happens this time every year, hordes of martins gather near LP Field in
Nashville.  While watching the bike race after my race was done, I estimated at
least 15,000 martins circling overhead.  There were ~5k over the stadium and
race course and huge swarms of them to the north, some groups were distant.
Not quite Tree Swallow "tornadoes," but pretty close.  I didn't get after them
to see where they roost.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are 30,000 birds
there every evening.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist