[TN-Bird] Purple Martins

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 14:23:37 -0400

At Melton Hill Park in west Knox County this morning I watched Purple Martins
feeding fledglings in a tree just down from the fishing pier.  This is very
close to where martins tried to nest in a broken light fixture last June.
There is no broken light fixture now but they must have found somewhere nearby
to nest.  I counted at least 9 martins including at least 3 fledglings.  There
was one large juvenile Osprey still in the nest on a channel marker on the
other side of the park and a flock of around 40 Double Crested Cormorants.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville