[TN-Bird] Purple Martin roost, Tim's Ford lake

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:55:11 +0000

All,
I actually had a chance to check the radar this morning to see the martins
emerge from roosts in the southeast.  Turns out there are no martins showing up
on radar from the Lillydale roost on Dale Hollow Lake (also recently reported
by Brainard-Palmer Ball on KY-Birds,
//www.freelists.org/post/birdky/RPT-Purple-Martin-roosts-on-radar).
However there is now a decent sized roost on Tim's Ford Lake, Franklin Co.  I
can't zoom in on the radar, but my best guess is the roost on the eastern side
of the lake in the vicinity of Maple Bend Rd, Awalt Dr, and Little Hurricane
Rd.  This is the approximate area I'd look in for starters anyway:
35.210493,-86.198044.  Copy and paste the GPS location into Google Earth or
Google Maps and it'll mark this vicinity.   Anyone in the area that can view
the lake at sunset would likely see martins coming in.  This is a new roost
location for Tennessee.

For reference, below are the radar web pages.  The birds are best seen (as of
this morning) from 6am-7am (earlier is better for seeing where the donut of
birds originates).  The radar is live and once the birds disperse, you won't
see them.  The Nashville birds dispersed by 7:45 am Central time to western
Dickson Co, western Smith Co., eastern DeKalb Co., into southern Kentucky, and
some birds down by Lawrenceburg.  These birds RETURN every night too!  That's a
lot of flying every day before the big trip to Brazil.

Radar from Huntsville, AL
http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=htx&product=N0R&loop=yes

Radar from Nashville, TN
http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=ohx&product=N0R&loop=yes