[TN-Bird] Re: Purple Gallinule Duck River update

  • From: "wodu1440 tds.net" <wodu1440@xxxxxxx>
  • To: littlezz@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:58:31 -0500

Tennessee NWR - Duck River Unit
Humphreys County
04/28/13

Now the bad news..........  The Duck River was within two feet of
overtopping the main outer levee at 10 AM.  I pretty much expect it will be
flowing over by the morning which means the Duck River Bottoms will be
closed to vehicle traffic.  If anyone chooses to get there at the crack of
dawn before staff gets in to assess the situation and close roads I
STRONGLY advise you NOT drive through water at the spillways to get to this
bird.  It is nothing unusual to see levels rise a foot an hour and I have
seen it rise as fast as two feet per hour.  A trickle of water over the
spillways going in could easily wash your vehicle off them in the short
period of time it would take to go look for this bird and come back out.
Changing water levels will probably make it very hard to find again anyway.

Clayton Ferrell