[TN-Bird] Priest Pake Merlins, and Brownie makes three

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:34:53 EST

Percy Priest Lake, Davidson Co. TN
Anderson Rd. Recreation Area
Feb.23
.
Attempting to read more band numbers I went out and checked on the Merlins
this afternoon. I didn't see the banded bird but I did get a look at a  third
bird, another female type, brown streaking with dark brown back.
At 4:26pm a bird flew in from the south and perched in the tall  cottonwood.
Almost simultaneously a second bird came in from the  cedar thicket to the
east, dove on the first, swooped low over the  water then up giving a cackling
call and alighted on an  opposite branch of the same tree. It appeared to be
slightly larger with  darker brown streaking and a darker brown back. I scoped
these  two for several minutes and saw no bands.
.
The yellow legs were not banded but they were blood stained, evidence of
feeding. Those sharp little talons were probably responsible for the Cedar
Waxwing feathers I found down the trail. When I first arrived here last  week
at
3pm these thickets were full of Robins and Cedar Waxwings feeding on  Eastern
Red Cedar berries. When I came back to the point at 4pm the Merlins were  in
the
area and other birds had cleared out.
.
I ran into nature photographer Josh Stone earlier, he'd been out a few  weeks
ago seen his life Merlin and got photos. He commented that he'd heard
Merlins in southern Canada were getting quite common and seemed to be  adapting
suburban areas.
.
Richard Connors
Nashville