[tn-bird] Priest Lake Loons

  • From: Gary Casey <gcasey2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:27:32 -0500

Hi All,
It had been about three weeks since my last loon count at
Percy Priest Lake in Davidson County. Todays total, 73, was
11 less than on March 8. The big difference was the loons.
Almost all are in some stage of alternate plumage molt and
a few are all the way. They are truly handsome birds!

Pied-billed Grebes have all but disappeared, 6 today, and
their Horned cousins must be far to the north.

A lone Osprey, carrying a fish and whistling up a storm, was
seen at Hamilton Creek Marina. Two hours later, several
miles away and on the other side of the lake two more were
hunting in a cove at Cooks Rec. Area.

I ended my day watching about 100 Bonaparte's Gulls directly
out from Seven Points boat ramp.

Gary Casey
Kingston Springs, Tn.