[TN-Bird] Prairie Falcon & more goodies in Obion Co. (long)!

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:05:27 -0800 (PST)

Friday, December 20, 2013
Obion County

The first bird I heard when I stepped out of my house this morning was a Fish
Crow so maybe that was a sign of a good day of birds that was to come!

As Mike Todd stated in his post earlier we had the Say's Phoebe that I lucked
upon yesterday on S. Hall Griffin Rd. Ruben Stoll and his friends had already
found the bird before I arrived at 9:30. Mike arrived a few minutes later and
we had the bird off and on for the next several minutes as it actively moved
around the farm.

A few minutes after Ruben and friends and Mike had left, I got a call from Mike
saying Ruben had a brief glimpse at a Spotted Towhee on Pruitt Road, a short
drive away. I drove over there and we looked for the birds for several minutes
but the feeding flock had moved on. They all left and I stayed in the area for
the next hour or so. I heard some activity further down the road and drove a
little further down and located the flock - lots of White-throated Sparrows
plus chickadees, titmice, both kinglets, and several Eastern Towhees. After
sitting and scanning the flock for several minutes I heard the call of the
Spotted Towhee. Eventually I was able to get a couple of good albeit very brief
looks at a male Spotted Towhee! This was my third TN record for this western
species.

After grabbing a quick bite of lunch I returned to the area east of Union City
near the Everett Stewart Airport. I drove down Autman Road along the backside
of the airport and immediately had a Loggerhead Shrike sitting on the barbed
wire fence. A quick scan yielded 5-6 Red-tailed Hawks and several Northern
Harriers in the area as well. While driving east down the road I saw a dark
raptor sitting on the ground out in the field. I put the scope on the bird and
saw a young dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk. A loud four wheeler came down the
road and the bird took flight and flew out of sight behind the treeline to the
west. The best was yet to come...

I was driving south down River Road and as I approached the jct. with Stovall
Road and Central High Road N. I saw a huge flock of blackbirds feeding. As I
came to a stop, a raptor dropped off of a nearby irrigation system and flew
after a flock of Lapland Longspurs. I quickly got on the bird with my
binoculars and noted a crow-sized, pale sandy brown falcon with long pointed
wings flying rapidly, low to the ground, across the corn stubble field.Prairie
Falcon! It flew up and and a couple of quick turns and I could see the dark
axillaries and underwing coverts. I also could clearly see the falcon
"moustache" mark on the face. The bird made a couple of rapid passes at the
flcok of Laps and then flew towards the blackbird flock - thousands of
blackbirds flew into a frenzy! The bird then quickly flew staright away from me
and disappeared behind the treeline to the southeast. I searched the area for
the next hour or so and never saw the falcon again but there
 is so much great habitat and food for raptors around that it could easily stay
around for a while. I did find a 2nd Rough-legged Hawk for the day - a
light-morph bird perched in a tree on Central High Road N! There are multitudes
of Red-tailed Hawks in the entire general area. There are good numbers of
Lapland Longspurs (500+) and American Pipits (50+) in the area along with the
blackbirds and Horned Larks.

On my way home, I made a swing through Garrett Sawmill Road. I saw several
Northern Harriers sitting on the ground. While stopping to look at a distance
harrier on the ground, 2 Short-eared Owls flew up out of a nearby ditch and
landed on the ground out in the soybean stubble! A great end to a great day of
birding!

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN