[TN-Bird] Possible Rough-legged Hawk at Ensley Bottoms

  • From: Mac McWhirter <npmcwhirter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:49:03 -0600

On 10 January 2012 at about 12:15 p.m. while birding the sewage lagoons at
Ensley Bottoms in Memphis,  I had a hawk that had many of the principal
markings of a juvenile Rough-legged Hawk. I had the bird within view for
about 25-30 minutes and it a light colored head, a dark band on the tail
and prominent white patches below the primaries on the top of the wings as
it would turn away.

If anyone birds this area in the next few days, please let me know if you
see the hawk and your assessment.

Thanks,

Mac McWhirter
Memphis, TN