[TN-Bird] Possible Northern Goshawk at Roan Mtn.

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 23:03:00 EDT

23 MAY 04
Hampton Creek Cove Area
Carter Co., TN
.
This afternoon while searching for a Golden-winged Warbler, Carol, Sam and I
looked skyward to find a large soaring Accipiter.  It seemed to be the largest
Accipiter I have ever seen! The soaring profile was one of a "no-neck", as
the head protruded just beyond the leading edge of the wing. Light underside
and
no obvious white on the gray upperside. The jizz seemed right for Goshawk
even though this would be my first encounter with a N. Goshawk. Wallace Coffey
confirmed via telephone numerous E. TN records at Roan Mtn. and Spring time at
over 3000' feet elevation also fits for a probable Northern Goshawk. We also
saw a single Red-shouldered hawk soaring while in the cove, but the warbler got
away unnoticed.
'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN