[TN-Bird] Re: Possible Neotropic Cormorant at the Duck River Unit

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, birdhunterrws@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:52:06 -0700 (PDT)

Ruben,

With the concentration of Cormorants at Duck River right now, it would be a
great place to find a Neo. While practically all of our Neotropic records have
come from along the MS River, I do think Jeff had  flyover once at Pace Point,
and there are KY records from KY Lake, and I think farther east as well, so any
large group of Cormorants is worth checking for a Neo. I spent a lot of time
scanning Cormorants while I was at Duck River the other day.

 The longer tail of a Neo is usually apparent when in direct comparison to a
Double-crested. Size is a good indicator, but you do run across runt
Double-crested on occasion, that could fool you on just that indicator. From my
experience, Neos are usually somewhat hesitant around Double-crested, but I'm
sure this isn't a steadfast rule. The overall glossiness of the plumage isn't
something I've ever noticed as a field mark between the two. The dark loral
area of Neotropic is often visible even at fairly long range (or the yellow
lores of a Double-crested are). But, occasionally DC Corms have dark lores,
especially young birds, and can be quite smaller than average, so it is a
combination of these factors. Hopefully it was a Neo and can be refound, though
not an easy task with the number of Cormorants at Duck River, and the distance
involved with looking at many of them.

It is really great having these regular reports from Duck River!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx