[TN-Bird] Re: Possible Black-headed Gull

  • From: Stczipperer@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:45:01 -0400 (EDT)

April 11, 2014
Parksville, Lake 64/30 picnic area
Polk County, TN

I drove over from Murfreesboro, TN to see the possible Black-headed Gull
yesterday after getting a phone call from Terry Whitt and directions from
David  Chapman. Thanks to both.  I arrived at 2:30 PM and observed the bird
for an hour. My first impression of the bird or "Gestalt" was not
Bonaparte's.  For what it is worth here are my observations.  Bird was  the
only Gull
on the mud island. Blue-wing Teal, Killdeer, and a Common Grackle  were also
observed.  Bird appeared larger than Bonaparte's and much whiter  or paler.
Legs were a deep red in color.  Bill red and heavier than  Bonaparte's.
Black on head stopped at the crown of the head on the  back.  From behind the
head and nape of neck going down to the top of  back was pure white.  No
evidence of black molting spots on feathers.   Now for the dark primaries. The
two quick times the bird got up I was not able  to see the black wedge in
the primaries but there was black there.  I have  look at quite a few pictures
of Black-headed gulls on-line and there are similar  shots of this bird
showing the black in the primaries and not showing the  black.  "Peterson
Reference Guide to Seabirding" on page 444 states,  "DIstant: Adults are
extremely pale, slightly paler than  Bonapart's Gull, They have a white wedge
on the
wing like Bonaparte's but  contrasts less and is not as translucent. The
dark patch on the underside of the  primaries is still the best distinguishing
feature, but it is difficult  to discern."

Well that's my two cents worth.  There were three other birders  present
when I arrived maybe they will chime in with their observations.

In summary the Gestalt of this bird was not Bonie.  These birds are
numerous of Percy Priest Lake where I bird.  The birds that were present  over
the
last week were in classic winter plumage a few were in breeding  plumage.
The black cap on these birds extends down further on the back of  the bird
at Parksville Lake.

If nothing else I got to bird in a new county and pick up Yellow-throated
Warbler for the year and not sleep for about 48 hours.

Good birding

Stephen Zipperer
Rutherford Co., TN