[TN-Bird] Port Royal

  • From: Duane Rice <drbirdsong4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 14:31:20 -0500

Nothing earthshattering, just unusual. I went to check the nest box trail at
Port Royal this morning, knowing the Red River would be higher than usual due
to recent heavy rains, but I wasn't prepared far what I saw. A Cormorant
sitting on the No Parking sign in the flooded parking lot. Weird. Wish I
would've had my camera.
Happy to report the Bluebirds continue to thrive at Port Royal.
All three of my Prothonotary Warbler gourds have been used by the warblers. One
pair is on their second nesting. Unfortunately the other two  seem to have been
victims of predators. Well, at least the nests were.
Interesting observation: The warblers seem to be able to identify Cowbirds eggs
and push them out of the nest cup. At least in two cases they have.
Peace,
Duane Rice
Tri-county corners (Cheatham, Robertson, Montgomery)