[TN-Bird] Poole's Knob Field Trial Area

  • From: queen mab <queenmab001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:09:22 -0700 (PDT)

04-03-2013
Lavergne, TN

I arrived at Poole's Knob Field Trial area at the break of light. After several
rabbit and two deer ran in front of my truck, I felt in sync with nature and
knew it was going to be a good day for photographing birds. The sun shone, but
not brightly. There was a circular rainbow around the sun. I walked out to the
cove and saw dozens of Red-breasted Merganser in the distant water along a
bank. Deer were walking in the backround. I wanted to get closer. I walked
through a field and through the tree line to reach a soggy beach. I sat in the
cold wet mud and did not flinch a muscle. In a half an hour, the Red-breasted
Merganser swam my way and into my camera lens' field. After multiple shots, I
drove around the area. I saw several Great Blue Heron, Blue-winged Teal,
Shovelers, one Wigeon, and one Redhead. I was circling around the area to a
field where the lake can be seen through the tree line. I was met by a ground
hog peeking out of his hole. After
 moving past the tree line, I sat on a rock at the water's edege to spy another
several dozen Red-breasted Merganser and several Hooded Merganser along with
multiple gulls, Canada Geese, and transitional plumage Horned Grebe. They, too,
were off in the distant. This time, I waited twenty minutes and the mergansers
came closer for another round of shots. I went back to the original spot to see
if this group of mergansers were the same mergansers in the other cove. They
weren't. There were to large groups of Red-breasted Mergansers. I had a great
day.

Whomever saw the active eagle's nest in this area, can you please provide the
location?

Marnie Mitchell
Rutherford Count