[TN-Bird] Poole Knobs, Rutherford county sparrows Saturday, + And.Rd. Merlin late

  • From: oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:37:15 -0500 (EST)

January 21
I didn't make the NTOS trip to Percy Priest due to a nice cold, but mid-afternoon I went out to see what I could find. At around 4pm I tried Percy Priest WMA next to Poole Knobs in Smyrna. At the open gate was a sign indicating the area is closed weekends from December through at least some time in February, with dates underneath, but not this weekend's date, so I drove about 200 feet and noticed plenty of sparrows in the left field that seems to have been burned. I immediately spotted a White-Crowned Sparrow fly to a shrub, then scanned the field. Two Fox Sparrows were scratching around 50 feet from the road, along with White-Crowned Sparrows and White-Throated Sparrows. Two teenagers on horses riding back to the stables told me that they were having field trials, but that around 4:30 they should be done, so I left. Looks like a great place to check on a weekday with some time. I drove Jones MIll Road up the its end at a gate, looking at the lake as I went, and spotted around 20-30 Bonapartes Gulls at the end of the cove, and several Ring-Billed Gulls were flying over the lake up higher. I've decided to keep track of birds by TN county now, so built a database and now have lots to fill in.

I then made the run to Anderson Road Recreation area, jogged over to the Merlin spot at 4:40, and found one in the usual tree. About halfway back to the car, another Merlin flew low over the trees at the shore, heading toward the point, so maybe there are two roosting there unless the one decided to take a quick flight.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC