[TN-Bird] Pond Mtn Warblers, Vireos, and other birds - AGAIN

  • From: merlinz02@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:14:39 -0400

Sorry - the other message got sent before I was ready for it to go.
(Fat finger syndrome)

Here is the complete message:

Hello Bristol Area and Tennessee Birders,

Today I had a small touch of Avian Flu which kept me out of work, but
sent me into the mountains of Carter County over the back forest
service road of Pond Mountain.

I had a good number of Warblers, Vireos, and other good birds. Even at
the highest elevations of Pond Mountain there were numerous
Black-throated Green Warblers, Blue-headed Vireos, and a surprise
visiit by a Red-breated Nuthatch.

I was amazed to hear the chatter, mews, and other such neat sounds
coming from the Blue-headed Vireos present. I stayed and hunted these
birds down to make sure that they were indeed Blue-headed Vireos. This
is the first year that I can remember observing such chatter from these
vireos in the field.

I also had many FOY birds. The birds in all CAPS are FOY (first of
year).

The Warbler lilst:

Northen Parula
BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER
Black-throated Green Warbler
Black and White Warbler
WORM-EATING WARLBER
OVENBIRD
Louisana Waterthrush
HOODED WARBLER

Other Neotropical Migrants:

Blue-headed Vireo
RED-EYED VIREO
SCARLET TANAGER

Other good birds:

Ruffed Grouse (strutting across service road)
BARRED OWL (singing during the day)
Northen Flicker (I believe near nest, but couldn't locate it)
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Eastern Phoebe
American Crow
Chickadee and Titmouse
Red-breated Nuthatch
Brown Creeper (singing)
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (singing)
Eastern Towhee
Field Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco (singing)
Northen Cardinal
American Goldfinch

Rob Biller
ELizabethton, TN

(I will have another report about the weekend soon.  Preview: 3 new
Yellow-crowned Night Heron nest that might be active [had a bird on
each nest] in Elizabethton, TN.