[TN-Bird] Re: Polk County gull

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rhoulk@xxxxxxxxxxx" <rhoulk@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 21:06:04 -0700 (PDT)

Rick,

Thanks to you and other sharing the details of this sighting. I saw the initial
photos of yours also, and like Chris, couldn't have made a positive ID from
those, as is often the case with long-range photos. I'm glad Stephen was able
to get some detail of the bird's underwing, with what I took to be dark other
than the trailing edge. I was a bit surprised initially that the bird was seen
in flight, and no dark areas were seen. It has been noted that this can be hard
to discern at the wrong angle etc. My experience is mostly from a couple of
trips to east Asia (and a couple of ABA birds), but my experience was that even
at a distance, though the exact pattern wasn't apparent, at least a dusky area
was usually notable in the outer primaries, not just a dark trailing edge on a
uniformly page underwing shown by all Bony's.

The difference in the shape of the hood in these 2 species (to me) is very
subtle, and depending on posture Bonaparte's can easily show a hood shaped like
typical Black-headed. Several things do make your bird sound like a
Black-headed, hope it does come back and further photos can be taken. Any
possible flight shots would be very interesting.

Thanks again for sharing, and getting the word out!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
www.pbase.com/mctodd