[TN-Bird] Re: Poke Berries bring Thrushes&Tanagers

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:01:11 EDT

Dev & TN-Birders,

Much to the chagrin of my citified neighbors, I absolutely FORBID my yard man
to ever cut down ANY poke weed.  I haven't been as lucky as you in having
great birds eating the berries as my ferocious mockingbirds GUARD their
pokeweed
from anything else that flies, walks or crawls.  There was a thrush that flew
into a high tree near some "poke" the other day when I went to hang freshly
washed rugs over the deck rail, but he left unidentified before I could get
back
in the house to return with my binoculars.  I think it was a Swainson's as
that would be the most likely for the time and location--first thrush ever on
my
property to my knowledge.  When I lived in Florida, my "poke" used to draw
the catbirds and thrashers as we lived in the country with LOTS of cover for
them.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN  (Charlotte Park near the old Cleece's Ferry ramp)