[TN-Bird] Please help, question on Henslow's sparrows & S-T fly (hummers, towhees here)

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:53:33 EDT

Hello Birders,

Can any of you tell me if the Henslow's Sparrows that could be seen from  the
paved road near a wildlife area outside Manchester still be seen?  This  is
the place to which the Nashville TOS took an absolutely grand field trip
earlier this summer, and the birds were FANTASTIC!  I cannot remember the  name
of
the TN Wildlife Management site nearby.  I hope to take a  friend down there
later this week, so would like to know if the birds are still  evident before
we make the trip.

Also, how about the scissor-tails in Rutherford County, south of
Murfreesboro, we will try to see on the way back?  They,  too, were absolutely
exciting!

I have the spots marked on my map which is unavailable right now, and I  just
cannot remember those local road names.

Those who are "in the know" about the present situation of those birds,
please reply off-line.  I'd really appreciate it.

Meanwhile, after an influx of hummingbirds for a couple of days, things  have
quieted down since it started raining.  I only saw two  yesterday, even
though I refurbished the watered-down sugar water, one of which  was an
immature
that flew right up to my kitchen window to inspect ME!  The  other, a female,
was deflected as it approached the feeder by a squirrel jumping  from the roof
to a vine.  The bird slammed into the kitchen window and  disappeared.  I
rushed outside and looked on the deck to see if it was  hurt, and it wasn't
there.
I assume it wasn't hurt badly enough to "put it  down" from its flight.

A baby towhee, in all its nondescript glory, is feeding on my deck  right
now. I know I've seen at least two, but they pretty much stay hidden  away in
the
grape vines and venture out in the open only one at a time so  far.  I did
get some good photos of one yesterday.

Thank you, in advance, to anyone who can give me help on the Henslow's and
Scissor-tail questions.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN