[TN-Bird] Playing Catch Up on Birding

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:48:16 EST

Feb. 1-3, 2004
Reelfoot Area
President's Island and
TVA Lake Memphis, TN

The last cold fronts to pass through and put so many birds at Pace Point did
the same BIG TIME in the Reelfoot area. I saw better than 100,000 geese up
there Saturday afternoon and twice that many ducks along the levee from Dyer to
Lake Co. The gull roost is too far out in the lake to do any good but it is
still the largest concentration and most have been there since the Christmas
Count. Few Bonaparte's were seen in the throng.

I did photograph a very small, very dark Canada Goose that was by its self in
a flock of 2000 Snow and Blues with 20 Ross's and 3 Greater White-fronted
Geese. It did not have the pale upper chest of Richardson's and was way smaller
than Snow and looked even smaller than one Ross's that walked in front of it.
If it is not a minima than at least a cackling type.

This afternoon after looking at a job uptown, I went to President's Island
and looked through the doves again, finding a coffee colored Mourning Dove, a
color variant that I seen very rarely. I posted it and a few more dove shots on
the Mystery Dove Page at:

http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/eucdmodo

At TVA, as I looked through the huge number of Lesser and Greater Scaup, I
thought I had an Eurasian Wigeon but instead it turned into my first leucistic
Lesser Scaup. Another species and another female. Evidently this gene resides
only in the females. I'll post some shots of this beauty along with the Gadwall
soon.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA