[TN-Bird] Planning Plants for 2004

  • From: Imboden@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:32:38 EDT

      Now that summer is drawing to a close I find that I am looking at my
container plants on my deck and beginning to plan what to plant next spring to
attract more birds.  Some have succeeded in spite of too much rain.  Others
probably won't be repeated next year.
       One of the most exciting has been the Meistergarten Fuschia which is a
favorite with hummingbirds.  If you attended the spring meeting banquet in
Knoxville, these were used as centerpieces.  And they are unique with leaves
that are green on top and maroon underneath with bunches of orange
honeysuckle-like blooms.  As my friend Gaither Gray said, "Only God could put
those colors
together and have it work."
       The hummingbirds love this plant almost as much as the shrimp plant.
This unusual plant has to be staked to be upright and is a shrub-like
perennial.  It barely survives the winter in my garage, but it bounces back
after
moving out on the deck in the sun.  The name comes from the 3-4" flowers which
are
shrimp-shaped in a pinkie red with white petals resembling tails.  The
hummers really enjoy this colorful plant.
       Usually the hummingbirds circle the mandevilla, but it is just now
beginning to look decent after all the rain.  This plant and the geraniums
would
have preferred less rain.  Maybe these will come on for the migrants.
Gardening for the birds can be fun!  And I welcome suggestions of plants you
have had succeed.

Barbara Finney
Knoxville, TN