[TN-Bird] Pished at the west

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tenn Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:29:13 -0400

For reasons yet unknown to scholarship, Western birds do not respond to
pishing. Nor does it work elsewhere in the world except parts of the
Caribbean if it imitates the excited pish sound coming from chickadees
and titmice when black rat snakes go arboreal. It leads me to believe
pishing imitates mobbing cries, and since the arid west doesn't have the
same conditions as the Eastern hardwood forest, they may not do this out
there.
Audrey Hoff once taped a mixed flock of birds native to St. Lucia in a
mobbing scene in thick underbrush (why we went into this undergrowth
against such a warning on an island where Fer de Lance is found is one
of the wonders of stupidity) and we noted it sounded exactly like
similar scenes back home. She then replayed the tape regularly in East
Tennessee and it regularly brought in birds every bit as effectively as
a screech-owl tape.
Clapping may sound to the birds like one of the strange sounds western
jays make in similar circumstances. One sudden clap can also make a
turkey gobble. We used this on the World Series of Birding regularly.

James Brooks