[tn-bird] Piping Plover,Peregrine,Common Terns-Kingston

  • From: John Devereux Joslin <jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:04:51 -0400

The PIPING PLOVER, COMMON TERNS, and many other shorebirds reported by
Ron Hoff, Dollyann Myers, and Frank Bills yesterday  were still at
Kingston Steam Plant again this morning (8-10 pm).

Janice and Carl Chadwell and I also observed a PEREGRINE FALCON.   The
falcon at one point was harrassing an Osprey with a fish.  I also found
somewhat remarkable a grouping of 8 Great Egrets fishing very close
together in shallow water.  I don't think I've ever seen so many egrets
fishing in a cluster like this before.  Also a couple of Grasshopper
Sparrows were present.

The List of Shorebirds, waterfowl, and raptors  (Also in parentheses are
the numbers of each shorebird species observed yesterday by Ron Hoff et
al.):

Cormorant - 3
Great Egret - 8
Great Blue Heron - 4