[tn-bird] Piping Plover Parade

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:21:35 EDT

July 28, 2002

Piping Plovers are scarce as hens teeth unless you look in the right places
at the right times. As I've stated before adults pass through this area and
especially down the Mississippi River between July 15 and Aug. 1 and
immatures and adults come thereafter through the first week in September. I
have seen Piping Plovers on 6 dates in July, 9 in Aug. and 5 in Sept, here
along or near the Mississippi. On 6 of those dates I had 2 Piping Plovers in
view at the same time.

Kevin and crew from Chattanooga took this to heart and were at Island 13 in
Lake Co. this morning and came away with a winner. I was here at Memphis
early this morning and had another and on Saturday Kenny and LaDonna had two
in Arkansas. They are coming through; rare but regular as clock work, just
get out on a sandbar and lay back................

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.