[TN-Bird] Pickwick to Pace Weekend

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:35:01 EST

Jan. 10-11-12, 2004
Pickwick, Hardin Co. TN
Pace Point and environs, Henry Co. TN

A lot of back roads and out of the way places produced a lot of good birds as
Clyde Blum and I tallied over 100 species in our travels. As always surprises
were at hand, new hot spots were found and discoveries kept us thinking.

The best triple ticks were found early and late on the trip. On Saturday a
wet hole near Savannah yielded 6 species of gulls with California, Lesser
Black-backed and Thayer's as food for thought and real eye candy, in great
lighting.
Late on Monday near Pace Point, five tenacious birders looked, searched and
looked again until we found an adult winter plumaged Pacific Loon complete with
chin strap in high fashion black and white. While we compared it directly to
a Common Loon as both birds lounged side by side, another spiffy loon rowed
into view and it was an immature plumaged Red-throated Loon, as pale as a
ghost.
The stair step sizes sitting within feet of one another filled our scopes and
satisfied Lifer Looks for some. We could talk about the various differences
without moving our scopes and the lighting was near perfect. I've had four
species of loons in one sweep of a scope before but never 3 in one field of
view.

In between, there was a trip to White Oak Wildlife Area just south of Shiloh
and a whole lot of great habitat that probably goes completely un-birdied.
Extensive swamps and huge fields full of birds. We had at least 5 LeConte's
Sparrows on a couple of short tromps through 3 fields.

We ended up with 20 species of waterfowl, 10 species of raptors including an
adult Peregrine at Paris Landing, a Merlin at Pickwick, 1 adult, 1 sub-adult
and 1 immature Golden Eagle at Pace among 60 Bald Eagles. I photographed 22
Turkeys at Bruton Branch Recreation area south of Pickwick Dam. Relatively few
gulls were at the dam and even fewer ducks were using the area. A total of 9
Common Loons but loads of Pied-billed and a small number of Horned Grebes were
seen. A single pale Thayer's with light coffee colored primaries with wide
frosty edgings and arrow heads at their tips, was seen late Friday and Saturday
evenings coming to roost above the dam.

We did very little woodland birding because our main objectives were gulls
and loon species but we did fill in most of the gaps on a winter list. All the
expected woodpeckers were tallied plus Brown-headed Nuthatches at two locations
as a bonus. We found good numbers of Palm, Yellow-rumped and Pine Warblers
plus 10 species of sparrows but dipped on Rusty Blackbird and Brown-headed
Blackbird.

Thanks to Clyde's great ears, we had Woodcock all three evenings at different
locations with some birds already into display flights. Friday evening I had
17 Harriers going to roost in one field and 6 were perched in trees. I have
one photo of the birds in the trees and another with a bunch of Harriers
swirling in tight circles. After dark only one bark was heard from a
Short-eared Owl.
Daylight to dark birding always pays off...........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN