[TN-Bird] Perry County Nelson's Sparrow, etc.

  • From: Ruben Stoll <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:44:46 -0500

I stopped at the Depriest Barns, several miles South of Lobelville, TN,
today (10-30-2015) to check about photographing a Grasshopper Sparrow that
Alan Troyer and I had seen earlier this week.
No luck with the Grasshopper, but a very cooperative Nelson's was sitting
in the exact same weed.
At this location I had 12 sparrow species in 15 minutes, all seen without
moving, which is the most I've ever had in a stationary checklist before, I
believe.
I missed a Fox Sparrow that I know was there, but got all the rest,
including a Lincoln's and an unexpected Vesper.
Also a late, juvenile Blue Grosbeak was seen having breakfast in the
Ragweeds.

Continuing at Tom's Creek Lake, also in Perry County, were a group of 31
Least Sandpipers and 8 Dunlins.

High lights at the Duck River Unit TNWR, Humphreys County were;

Horned Grebe (FOS)
Bonaparte's Gull 1
Franklin's Gull 2
Forster's Tern 2
Black-bellied Plover 2
Dunlin 89 (74 in one group, 15 in another)
Orange-Crowned Warbler (2 at Tie Landing)
Good birding, Ruben Stoll, Centerville TN.