[TN-Bird] Peregrines at Greenbrier Pinnacle

  • From: hoyle@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:47:26 -0400 (EDT)

Grennbrier Pinnacle
GSMNP

On Sunday June 22, Kristine Johnson and I hiked to the lookout at
Greenbrier Pinnacle.An adult Peregrine Falcon was sitting in a dead pine
tree above the old hack site. Suddenly the Peregrine flew toward us crying
harshly, before swerving off to attack and drive off a passing Red-tailed
Hawk. Minutes later it had returnd to its lookout. From the valley below,
we heard the cries of another Peregrine, Suddenly two juvenile
Peregrines came into view, clearly a male and female. They put on a
spectacular show: chasing, feinting, and diving. Through all this the
adult sat placidly at his lookout.

We also saw quite a number of hummingbirds on the way up, apparently
feeding on the blooming azaleas.

Susan Hoyle
Knoxville, TN