[TN-Bird] Peregrine Falcon nest on Alum Cave Bluff

  • From: Tiffany Beachy <tiffany.beachy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 23:34:36 -0400

Hello birders,

This may be old news to many of you who have been monitoring the Peregrine
Falcons in the Smokies for years, but I wanted to let you all know the
location of their nest this year because it is relatively easy to observe.
From old observation notes in my office file going back at least 15 years,
it appears that they tend to move around the general area of the bluffs
each year.  I rarely hike the Alum Cave Bluff trail, especially in the
summer, so it was a wonderful gift to hear the raucous chatter of the
nestlings as the parents wheeled overhead on May 30th.  I went back on June
2 and easily found them again.

There are three nestlings:  one very small white downy chick, and two
larger chicks with more juvenile feathers, the beginnings of their sideburn
markings, and charming mullets.

When you get to the bluff (2.2 miles from the trailhead), continue walking
on the trail past the bluff toward Mt. LeConte.  About 30 yards up the
trail past the bluff, as it starts to head up the mountain, turn around and
look back at the cliff above the cave.  The nest ledge is about halfway
between the top of the cliff and the roof of the cave/overhang.  There are
some bushes growing on the edge of the ledge, and the nestlings tend to
hide behind these bushes, occasionally climbing out toward the edge
(dangerously close to falling).  On June 2, the biggest nestling was
sitting a few meters above the bushes on a smaller rock ledge.

This is the first Peregrine Falcon nest I've ever seen, so I was quite
excited!

Here is my E-bird list for May 30:

Great Smoky Mt. NP--Alum Cave Bluff Trail (to Mt. LeConte), Sevier, US-TN
May 30, 2014 2:45 PM - 7:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.5 mile(s)
Comments:     We didn't count individuals as we hiked - My first ever PEFA
nest!!  :)
19 species

Red-shouldered Hawk  X
Broad-winged Hawk  X
Chimney Swift  X
Peregrine Falcon  X
Blue-headed Vireo  X
Common Raven  X
Black-capped Chickadee  X
Red-breasted Nuthatch  X
Carolina Wren  X
Golden-crowned Kinglet  X
Veery  X
Cedar Waxwing  X
Hooded Warbler  X
Chestnut-sided Warbler  X
Black-throated Blue Warbler  X
Black-throated Green Warbler  X
Canada Warbler  X
Eastern Towhee  X
Dark-eyed Junco  X

happy birding,

Tiffany Beachy
Citizen Science Coordinator, Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Blount Co, TN