[TN-Bird] Percy Priest Lake - Merlin & a few ducks

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 18:19:05 -0800 (PST)

J. Percy Priest Lake, Cook Recreation Area
Davidson County
1-3-12

I managed to squeeze in about 45 minutes at Cook before it got too dark to
identify anything today. The lake was pretty barren, but I did pick out 3
Pied-billed Grebes, a pair of Buffleheads, and a pair of Hooded Mergansers,
with the resident Merlin watching my every move from a nearby tree. As the sun
went down, there began to be a nice stream of gulls flying north over the lake.
I assume they were mostly Ring-bills, but I haven't yet reached a point in my
birding career where I can identify gulls by silhouette.

I also saw a few juncos, which interested me just because I've seen very few of
them this winter up until now.

Daniel