[TN-Bird] Pelicans on Watts Bar-Tellico eagles

  • From: "James, Wesley K." <wkjames@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:15:23 -0500

I talked to Bob Van Hook who lives near Riley Creek on Watts Bar
Reservoir in Roane County this morning.  He reports seeing two white
pelicans in the vicinity of Long Island and Stamp Creek over the last
couple of days.  He said the pelicans are hanging close to several
hundred double-crested cormorants that are congregating in this area.
Long Island and Stamp Creek are located on the main arm of the Tennessee
River upstream from Kingston between Tennessee River Miles 571 and 573
on the left descending shoreline.
Changing subjects, we conducted a search for bald eagle nesting sites on
upper Tellico Resevoir in Monroe County on March 24.  We did not find
evidence of a nest but we did see three immature plumage bald eagles
hanging together near the mouth of Citico Creek and one adult plumage
bird perched on the face of Chilhowee Mountain near Little Tennessee
River Mile 31.5R.  We saw one adult plumage bald eagle later that day
near Tellico Dam in Loudon County.

Wes James
Lenoir City, TN

Wesley K. (Wes) James, Wildlife Biologist
Tennessee Valley Authority, Resource Stewardship
Little Tennessee Watershed Team
260 Interchange Park Drive
Lenoir City, TN  37772-5664
865-632-1312  Fax: 865-632-1313