[TN-Bird] Past days birding results/ Day 1

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 21:17:56 -0400

Day 1-
      These past 2 gorgeous "early Spring -like days" found me birding in
the
remote regions of Scott County, TN to add to my County list and to look
for Cerulean and Golden-Winged Warblers in areas I had not been able to
check before.  I also did a couple "mini-counts" on Saturday (posted
separate)stopping
 every 1/2 mile in BBS route style and recording all species.  I had some
interesting results, with a few highlights and comments below. The birds
were singing most of the day with these cooler temperatures.  I also
covered many areas of different type habitat from Winona to Cordell back
out to River Road, with fields and creeks etc. for a good sampling of
bird-life in this area. Complete data/ route etc.  is available to those
interested.    This area of Scott County has somewhat escaped the
"clear-cutting" so prevelent in most of that County where I have birded
before.
   On Friday, I birded 8 hours and found a total of 17 CERULEAN WARBLERS
along a 10 mile  area in Southern Scott County near Cordell and further
South from there along the New River and Bull Creek Road that eventually
dead ended. The first Cerulean along this road was at apx 1400 ft in
elevation
 despite the habitat looking suitable lower than this on the way up this
road. Numbers increased the higher in elevation I went.
     Only one area of Golden-Winged Warbler habitat was found, and this
was mid-day and I heard no birds. I did find 1 BLUE-WINGED WARBLER near
Cordell also that seemed to be on territory at an old burned out
homestead site with lots of briar thickets.
  Other Warbler species were well represented with an interesting number
of Northern Parulas at 11. (I have only found 1 N. Parula in adjacent
Campbell County in recent years, despite looking in proper habitat)
Other Warblers were : Yellow-throated       14
Black Th. Greens     9 (singing like early Spring again)
Prairie   3      Black and White   9       Worm -eating   2     Ovenbird
7
Kentucky 5     Common Yellowthroat      9            Hooded        17
Yellow-Breasted Chat  11
Despite looking in good habitat, I heard NO Swainson's Warbler.

Red-eyed Vireos took the high count  today   ( 47  )   with Indigo
Buntings
being 2nd today- 28   which I thought very unusual since Indigos are
usually my highest number this time of year.
Acadian Flycatchers  (11)   all found along New River in deep Evergreen
Forest

52 species were seen.  I noted a low number of all types of Woodpeckers,
only 2 Downy and 3 Red-bellied  and 3 Pileated Woodpeckers today.
Other suprises were NO White-breasted Nuthatches all day, and even more
alarming I saw only TWO EASTERN BLUEBIRDS despite perfect habitat in many
places after I left the deep wooded Cerulean habitat. Strangly enough, on
Saturday (posted separately)  I saw only ONE EASTERN BLUEBIRD  despite
miles and miles of habitat and fields and purposely looking for them
after noticing the lack of them on Friday.  Wonder whats up with this in
this area of Scott County? I know it sounds strange to be alarmed about
Bluebirds, but I think this very strange since I am used to seeing them
constantly in Campbell County not that far from this location. Sometimes
it is good to realize that some things are not as they should be and
investigate more.
_Only 1 Great-Crested Flycatcher was heard all day.

 Wildflowers were numerous with Fire Pink and Indian Pink blooming
together, along with Bowman's Root, Sundrops 4 Leaved Milkweed, Goat's
Beard and
many other common species. Another wonderful day to be in the wilds, and
alwasys something neat to look at.
Saturday posted separate.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN