[TN-Bird] Paris to Pace Point

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 08:07:41 -0500 (EST)

Dec. 26, 2011

The park at Paris Landing was closed but there were no birds  on Gull
Island and just a few above the bridge. Bonaparte's numbers were  slightly up
but
others were way down.

The loons were found at creek and bay mouths in the AM, moving  out into
the channels as the day progressed. More loons than normal for  late December.
I have not pulled together the numbers but 68 at the mouth of  Eagle Creek
gives you an idea of concentrations, even lots of them seen in  the TN River
channel. Best birds were 2 adult Pacific feeding together at the  Antioch
Beach Access Road and around 3 PM, scanning from the Lashlee Spring  heights,
I found an adult Red-throated. I left before the evening roost parade  and
the rain started but it should have been impressive.

Other species seen in exceptional numbers were Horned Grebes,  spread out
everywhere you looked plus Common Goldeneye, concentrated mostly  on the east
side of Pace Point where 390+ were found in one  scan.

Waterfowl wise a lot of Mallards have moved in, Black Duck  numbers seemed
low, huge numbers of male Ring-necks and Red-breasted Mergs but  generally
low and scattered numbers of all other species. Total waterfowl, 20  species,
no scoters.

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.