[TN-Bird] Paris Landing informal TOS meeting (Jan. 27-29)

  • From: "LeGrand family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:04:10 -0600

The Dec. issue of the Tennessee Warbler had the following notice of an
informal meeting at Paris Landing, but I haven't heard more about it (except
through Knoxville TOS). I plan on going-hope to see others there.

WINTER MEETING

Back by popular demand, a Winter Meeting will be held January 27 through 29,
2012, at Paris Landing

State Park. There is no formal agenda, just the chance for some excellent
winter birding and socializing.

We'll search for uncommon or rare loons, grebes, ducks, gulls and sparrows.
Specific locations will

depend on recent sightings, but will probably include Pace Point, Lick Creek
and other areas in the Big

Sandy Unit of the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge; Britton Ford, the
coves and inlets around Big Eagle

and Paris Landing itself should combine to produce an interesting species
list.

The resort at the State Park (reservations and info: 1-800-250-8614) will
serve as our headquarters. The

resort currently lists a double room for $73 plus tax. I have it on good
authority that a winter "special" will be

announced soon, with a room rate of $49.95. Watch the website (just enter
Tennessee State Parks and

click on Paris Landing) for the announcement of the lower rate. A
continental breakfast is served, but the

dining room is closed for lunch and dinner. As in the past, we can select a
local restaurant for dinner on

Friday and Saturday nights.

For more information contact Dick Preston (dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx).

When I made my reservation I noticed that the Winter Discount isn't
advertised (that I could see), but on the on-line reservation form in the
category "Rate Type" scroll down to "WINTER SPECIAL RATE" and $57.07 (with
tax) appears, which  is much cheaper than the standard $83.40 for one person
without the discount. Apparently it always says 9 rooms are available (for
any date and even after I made my reservation).  I guess if you see less
than 9 available they really mean it.

Ed LeGrand

Crossville, TN