[TN-Bird] Pacific loon

  • From: rick houlk <rhoulk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:08:43 -0500

I birded the same areas as David Hollie on 10 February 2014 from noon until
2:30. The same species were observed except I did not see the Long-tailed Duck
or Herring Gull.

At Vincent Road I had 5 Red-breasted Mergansers. The loon David described was
still present. My first thought was also a Pacific Loon. The loon appeared
smaller than the three Commons in the same area. The neck line was strait and
the bill smaller and lighter in color.

At the dam I had 7 White-winged and a Black Scoter.

Rick Houlk
Polk County