[TN-Bird] Pacific Loon, Cook Rec Area, Percy Priest Lake

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 00:17:53 +0000

This afternoon a few of us went to Cook Rec Area (Davidson Co.) on Percy Priest
Lake.  Conditions were poor with a little breeze chopping the water and shimmer
greatly reducing visibility.  We kept scoping as flocks of ducks were flying in
late in the day.  We were giving up hopes of seeing much but floating blobs on
the water at a distance, but I scanned one more time and hit the jackpot with a
Pacific Loon.  The bird was well seen by the group that included Steve and
Cyndi Routledge, Frank Fekel, and Daniel Estabrooks.  The Pac loon swam with a
Common Loon for a couple minutes, providing an excellent side by side
comparison.

No western grebe was seen from Cook Rec Area, but it could easily still be in
the area as conditions were pretty poor this afternoon.  Did anyone try for the
bird today??

Great birding!
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist