[tn-bird] Pace Point area 9/11/02

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:44:47 EDT

An early morning trip to Pace Point unfortunately didn't produce any Red
Knots, I guess they prefer Jeff's company. Few shorebirds were on the point,
but nice imm. Baird's and Buff-breasted added a little quality to the mix. A
couple of times they were in the same field of view, for a very nice image.
Otherwise only a couple of Pec's, a dozen or so Least, and 20 or so Killdeer
were all that were present when I arrived. As I sat there enjoying the
Baird's and Buffy, a Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs arrived, followed by four
Spotted Sandpipers. At least 100 Ring-billed Gulls were resting on the point,
joined by a Caspian and several Forster's Terns. The Laughing Gull that was
here the last time I visited was not present. A couple of other shorebird
species were seen this morning, with a Golden-Plover and Snipe on the mud
flats at Lick Creek.

I had 12 species of warbler for the day, including my 1st Bay-breasted of the
season, and best of all an immature Mourning. The Mourning cooperated for the
best look I've had at this species. Least and "Trail's" were the only good
flycatchers for the day.

Good birding!!!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie,TN