[tn-bird] Pace Point and Paris Landing areas- 2/13/2002 (long)

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:46:00 EST

Don Manning and myself spent the morning around the Pace Point area before
deciding to make a (somewhat) quick trip north to the Dams in KY. On the
refuge at Big Sandy Unit/Pace Point we were greeted with sparrows feeding
seemingly in every weed patch, with a few Chippies mixed in among the more
traditional winter species. Our 1st surprise was in the bay behind the
maintenance sheds, where we happened upon a dozen Common Mergansers still
enjoying a little southern hospitality. Lately there has been being at most
one Common seen here, glad to see there are a few still around. (Finally on
my 3rd try this winter got some decent pics of these birds from at least a
1/4 mile away). A small string of Red-breasted's were here along with a few
Hooded making for a Merganser sweep.  Also in the area was a sole adult Snow
Goose feeding with Canada Geese, Mallards, and a few American Black Ducks in
a flooded field.

The Pace Point area itself was alive with birds. There were 75-100 Common
Loons on the west side of the Point, with one distant Pacific Loon keeping
them company. We watched this small, dark loon for quite a while before it
finally came within range to let us see its facial and neck pattern and small
bill. Also in the area were over 300 Red-breasted Mergansers, with as Jeff
Wilson noted in a previous post, probably 75% of which were elaborate males.
Horned Grebes were everywhere still, with one pod having 112 on the surface
at one time. Common Goldeneyes are still present in decent numbers, although
seemingly not as many as a couple of weeks ago. Gull numbers seemed down for
all 3 species, especially Herrings, although the Paris Landing area later had
good numbers of all 3 expected gull species. After leaving the Point we went
to Rocky Point which was practically dead, all the birds are concentrated
around the Point. While leaving the refuge a large and bulky immature
accipiter crossed in front of us and lit briefly in a distant tree. This bird
had the makings of a good bird but we couldn't nail it down. We then decided
to head north to the Dams at KY, which produced a 1st-year Thayer's at
Barkley Dam.

On the way home we came back through the Paris Landing area, which turned up
lots of the "usual suspects" and also to our delight a gorgeous adult
Peregrine Falcon sitting out on the exposed island at Paris Landing. No loons
were seen out from Paris Landing and when we left here and went to Port Road
the only loons were the very distant birds ID'able only as loons around the
Pace Point area. Whatever the attraction there appeared to be holding the
birds pretty tight. Another great day to be out!

Good birding!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.